Wednesday, May 25, 2016

The Lighthouse at the End of the World by Stephen Marlowe...Review


The Lighthouse at the End of the World

Stephen Marlowe

Copyright 1995

Where to begin...I guess I will start with what was good about Stephen Marlowe's book. I liked the parts of the book that were realistic, and at least mostly factual about Edgar Allan Poe. It was interesting to read about him, not just from him (Poe is a favorite author and poet of mine). There were even a few good quotes I drew out of the book.
"Those nights I wrote were often still. Sometimes I would hear a soft footstep on the stair.
"What do you want?"
"I like to watch you."
The scratching of the pen fascinated her.
"I can hear the words." she said."
     When I was reading the parts of the book that were interesting and good to me, I felt Marlowe was a great writer. I could picture his Poe, Virginia, Muddy, and other characters. I could empathize with them, and felt like I agreed with his take and observations on what they might have been like. That can be hard to do when one is writing about people that once lived.
     In this story we get many chapters that are based on Edgar Allan Poe's life, and what we know about it, as well as the other people that were a part it. He has put them in story form, but followed the details that are known, and written about a theory of what might have happened to Poe at the end of his life, as no one is sure what happened to him. Then, he also adds a hmmmm... this is where he lost me. Alternate world? Strange thoughts that show Poe sinking into madness? Imaginary dimension that some people believe and others don't? I'm not sure if I am being honest.
     These unrealistic, real or imaginary parts of the book were interspersed throughout. There were more and more the further you read until they make up about the last fifty pages. They were boring, confusing, and I dare say a bit ridiculous to me. I was tired of it and had to force myself to finish.
     If you are looking to read something about Edgar Allan Poe, I would recommend reading a biography. I wish I had.

IMO,
Anderson

No comments:

Post a Comment